Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Bank

I have a story that is awkward yet funny.  We were going through the drive-thru at the bank a few weeks ago and Tate asked me if he could have a sucker, as our bank gives them to all the kids who come in.  I told him I would ask the teller.  As we pulled up to the window, Tate proceeded to roar loudly.  I apologized to the teller for the very energetic lion in the backseat.  She laughed.

After I told her about my deposit, she asked if Tate would like a sucker.  I told her that he would.  An important part of this story is that Tate also recently learned "the name game" song - the one where you use different letters in front of names to make different words.  As the teller is putting the sucker into the deposit box, I hear Tate singing in the backseat, at the top of his lungs:

"Sucker sucker bo bucker"

I know the line that's coming next, but it's like my brain went into a fog and I couldn't think of a way to stop or distract him, so he proceeded to sing:

"Banana fana fo ....."

I'll let you fill in the blank.

Tate kept singing, as he didn't have any idea what he was singing.  I smiled weakly at the teller and shrugged my shoulders.  I think she was trying not to laugh.  We went on our way.

Almost a month later, we went to the bank again, and I prepped Tate beforehand by telling him that a sucker is also called a lollipop.  I thought he would think this was a much cooler word.  Unfortunately, he had trouble pronouncing a word with so many l's in it.  We pulled up to the drive-thru window and I talked with the (exact same) teller for a minute.  She left and took care of my deposit, and when she came back, she whispered "Would he like a, you know, sucker?"

She remembered us.  Awesome.

And Tate began to sing.

2 comments:

Carol said...

That's HILARIOUS! Jacob's sang that song a couple times for "sucker" as well:)

But, as someone who works at a bank we love cute kids like this!

Jaci said...

I'm dying laughing. That is so awesome. Well told too.