Monday, June 14, 2010

Tate Stories

Tate is always saying things that catch me off guard or make me laugh. Often he says these things with such seriousness. Some of his sayings came from things that I know we've said to him, like the following:

"Mommy, why did you change your shirt?" - Tate

"Well buddy, I spilled something on it." - Me

"Oh. Was it water?" -

"No, it was pop."

"Oh. It happens."

And the following exchange between Dave and Tate totally cracked me up. Let me paint the picture - when Tate wakes up in the morning, he wakes up a bundle of energy. He is definitely a morning person (while Dave and I are still struggling to keep our eyes open and figure out what time it is) and is usually jumping on his bed within 5 minutes of waking. So the other morning, Tate wakes up and Dave takes him to the potty. As he's sitting on the potty, he is talking a mile a minute and I can hear Dave is struggling to keep up.

"Daddy, are those whiskers on your face?"

"Yes, buddy."

"Daddy, who put those whiskers there?"

Silence.

"Daddy, I said, who put those whiskers there?"

"Um, I don't know."

"God did. God put those whiskers there."

I was still lying peacefully in bed, chuckling. But Tate wasn't done yet.

"Daddy, are you going to put your tomcats in?"

Silence, then "What?"

"Daddy, are you going to put your tomcats in? Take off your glasses?"

Silence. I wondered if Dave had fallen asleep.

"Your tomcats, Daddy!!"

I couldn't take it. I burst out laughing and yelled "Contacts, your contacts!"

4 comments:

Jaci said...

I love it! Tomcats!

Kelly said...

That is awesome! I have to pose the question, how did two "non-morning" people produce a "morning" person?!?

Great post!

Carol said...

That's hilarious! What a great story! Jacob came in while I was typing this and immediately saw the Cubs picture. Jacob wants Tate to know that "It's good he likes the Cubs and not the Cardinals".

Aunt Lou Ann said...

Only a month and I'm missing seeing him again! Can't wait for the next time we get together.