Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Good times with the Marion PD

I knew one of these days I would cease to be organized and on top of things. Tate and I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things. I got a rock star parking spot out front. I let him walk through the store instead of riding in the cart, which he has started hating lately for some reason. We made it through the store without any problems.

We checked out and walked out to the car. Tate was carrying one of the bags of groceries and my keys and I was carrying another bag. He was climbing into his seat while I searched through my purse for another set of keys (to Dave's car) to give him to let him play with on the drive home. I tossed my purse and keys into the front seat and shut the door. I went to open the driver's door and it was locked. All the doors were locked. Tate had somehow pressed the lock button on my keys. I was still holding Dave's keys in my hand. Fortunately, it was only in the 70's and not terribly hot so I kept my calm since Tate seemed perfectly fine. I went back into the store and one of the employees offered to help me (God bless the nice people at Fareway!). He went out to my car but couldn't get the lock open so he called the police department, who will open your car for you for free if there is a child locked inside. Who knew?

As I waited for the police, I loathed my right-in-front of the store parking spot as people walked by and stared at me. Tate was fine, I could read his lips and he was smiling and saying "open, open, open". Fortunately the policeman was able to open my car in about 10 minutes and I did not break down in tears.

Mother of the year award, here I come!

4 comments:

Jaci said...

It happens to the best of us! I'm sure my day will come. Someday soon, you and Tate will laugh about this together!

The Stotts Family said...

I'm glad that you're both okay, Alissa. I have to admit, your story made me laugh out loud! I can only imagine how I might have reacted! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! I could've told you about the free service! I'm pretty sure Mandy doesn't remember doing the same thing when she was Tate's age! LOVE reading your tales! Gramma Cyndi

Anonymous said...

I find this story very funny....probably because it happened to you and not me! Maybe you need to find some spare keys around the house and make Tate his own key chain. I think we did this for Ethan...he thought it was great. Then Tate can't accidently lock the car doors again. So glad it wasn't a hot day!

Katie